Sproutlore Symbol

The Sproutlore Forum is now closed, and no longer accepting new messages. Please try our new forum at The Order of the Golden Sprout.
New Trek Trailer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deep Black

Club Member
Display Name: Andi
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I reckon there should have been more McCoy, he was good
Boggwoppit

Club Member

Display Name: Hugh Morris
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved this film. I liked the fact they didn't spend too much time on the academy years and just got straight into it. The new look lower class Romulans was a good move though I hope they keep the classic look for any members of the High Command and the Tal shiar.

I wonder if the Klingons will have their boney headplate or will the reason for it's absence be explained.

Mc Coy was very good as were Kirk and Spock but Pegg fell a little short and just looked like he'd stepped out of spaced with his beany still placed firmly on his head. I was half expecting his little rock like pal to start big box little boxing and engageing in slow motion gun fights with Scotty.

The emotion shown by the Vulcans was understandable given the enormity of their loss and it will be intresting to see how they develop now that old spock has a hand in shaping their future in a new colony.

Best of all I am glad they didn't cop out and go back through the black hole and fix everything.

O and Pike didn't get burned though he did end up in a wheelchair so they probably never go to that planet with the big headed aliens or put the planet out of bounds for starfleet so prehaps they will appear again. Must go and see it again Very Happy

nursewhen

Display Name: Helen
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boggwoppit wrote:
O and Pike didn't get burned though he did end up in a wheelchair so they probably never go to that planet with the big headed aliens or put the planet out of bounds for starfleet so prehaps they will appear again. Must go and see it again Very Happy

He was young when they went to that planet so it will have been in his past unless the timeline change affected it. The burning was unrelated and happened later.

I liked the telapath aliens too, the Cage and The Menagerie were superb episodes.

COD

Club Member
Display Name: Paul
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just sat and watched it two hours ago in the comfort of my office (don't ask and it was crystal clear) I have to say it was the best action film I've seen in a long time. I had a nice warm glow when Spock the elder turned up and frankly I would, and am, going to watch it again and again.
Chris Pine does a subtle, but brilliant Shatner and MCoy is just superb. As for Zachary Quinto, who better?
Not sure about the Uhura relationship issue, but then it is an alternate reality that means the Franchise can live again an explore new worlds and seek out...oh hang on. Anyway. very good, hope there's a third and fourth possibly.
I just like Leonard Nimoy. Maybe Kirk doesn't die in Generations in this new reality, and we get a Shatner cameo in movies to come.

Heyhum

Boggwoppit

Club Member

Display Name: Hugh Morris
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nursewhen wrote:
Boggwoppit wrote:

He was young when they went to that planet so it will have been in his past unless the timeline change affected it. The burning was unrelated and happened later.

I liked the telapath aliens too, the Cage and The Menagerie were superb episodes.

Your quite right I forgot Talos was a barred planet after his first visit. I was just excited when he wasn't all burned up and controling the wheelchair with his mind that he had no reason to get Spock to take him back and that might lead to them big forheaded fellas getting another chance to trick those federation boys again but on a much bigger scale this time.

I was glad to hear that Scotty had dissasembled Admiral Archers dog though. Very Happy

COD

Club Member
Display Name: Paul
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot about the small mention of the dog. Having never really sat and watched 'Enterprise' I'm not surprised I missed the reference, even though I was looking for some thing other than the blue uniforms. Like a small boys club innit, but with girls too.
Gaz

Site Admin
Display Name: Gaz
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got to see it at the weekend and loved it. Even the missus said it was fantastic.

I didn't have a problem with Spock showing emotion, or the rest of the Vulcans for that matter, I think it just shows that they were naturally emotional but normally *chose* to repress them, but that may change now.

The one and only thing that bugged me was how Spock the elder was able to see what he saw (trying not to spoil things) from where he was. Surely if the thing that got destroyed was that close, the planet he was on would have been affected? Why didn't Scotty notice also?

Can't get worse, might get better...
Has always been my way of thinking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Matt

Display Name: Matt
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaz, I don't know how to tell you this...its only pretend...
Shocked

Gaz

Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I know that, but it still has to make some kind of sense doesn't it?

Anyway, it was just a minor "ehh?" moment in an otherwise awesome film.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Deep Black

Club Member
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Spock has some sort of better future eyes?
As for Scotty, well he was indoors at the time

Gaz

Site Admin
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deep Black wrote:
Maybe Spock has some sort of better future eyes?

Nah, in the flashback you could see Spock looking up at the sky and said object is filling the sky. Just doesn't quite make sense to me - he's supposed to be marooned on some remote planet. It would have been better IMO to have him witness the event from Nero's ship, and then have Nero maroon him on the remote planet.

Gaz

Site Admin
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the answer..... apparently if you look closely in the film, when Spock is watching, there are text overlays on the images - so he's not actually watching something happen in the sky above him, he's watching a holographic projection being broadcast to him from Nero's ship.

Happy now. Wink

Matt

Display Name: Matt
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, I shall keep an eye out for that bit (if I ever get to see it...)
Very Happy

Deep Black

Club Member
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
supposed to be marooned on some remote planet

i found it far more unlikely that Kirk, having been ejected from the Enterprise, should land - not only on the same planet as Spock but - with in a short walk of him.

Gaz

Site Admin
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deep Black wrote:
Quote:
supposed to be marooned on some remote planet

i found it far more unlikely that Kirk, having been ejected from the Enterprise, should land - not only on the same planet as Spock but - with in a short walk of him.

Yep, there is that too. I think you call that a "convenient plot device", just like it being the same planet where one of the 2 people working at the outpost was Scotty.... Smile I'm going to stop now before we pull the whole thing to bits.... Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sproutlore Forum Index -> SpoutMore All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: