Sproutlore Symbol

The Sproutlore Forum is now closed, and no longer accepting new messages. Please try our new forum at The Order of the Golden Sprout.
New Website
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Fantastic

Club Member
Display Name: Ian
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: New Website Reply with quote

I have posted this information elsewhere but here it is again with a bit more added for all to see.....
The New website is in business, just.....
You can join the site, though this still gives limited access. Full content (though there is not a lot at the moment) is only unlocked when you are a paid up member.
There is a small shop and some goodies on it, you can also now get / renew membership.
This (old) site will run alongside the new for the next couple of issues of the magazine to allow everyone to renew membership as due and for content to be built upon. The forum is a lonely place at the moment as only 6 people have full access.
In a couple of months it should start to be the same (and more) busy and slightly mad place this is.
Ian.

www.thegoldensprout.com

http://web.mac.com/icase Photos from events.
www.zombiecon.co.uk
A Random Me

Club Member
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now signed up to the site.

"If Plan A will result in a smoking crater where the city used to be, they'd probably like if you came up with a Plan B."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mask

Club Member
Display Name: Tricia
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Crying or Very sad Aw, I won't be able to get on it at work night time like I can on here, my work system blocks it. There's the option to click and open it if it's work related, but I don't know if the IT dept are able to check up on these and get me into bovver. I don't suppose anyone knows about these things here.

I'll just have to follow things at home, and find something else to amuse myself at work during the slow times. The BBC points of view forum is an amusing place to surf. So many grumpy people. Smile

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive, well preserved body, but rather with......chardonnay in one hand, chocolate in the other,body totally worn out, and screaming " Woo Hoo, what a ride "
Gaz

Site Admin
Display Name: Gaz
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also just signed up - and as it happens my membership has recently expired so I shall re-join later.

Looks good Ian - really like the idea of club membership actually being needed to get you into the "inner sanctum" as it were, something we never quite managed to achieve on here due to technical limitations.

Can't get worse, might get better...
Has always been my way of thinking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
barking owl

Display Name: Kirsty
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive signed up to, shall get onto the membership later on as well. This is the year I shall actually get round to doing stuff.

{edit} - I gone n dunnit! Yay! Im a sprout!

Gaz

Site Admin
Display Name: Gaz
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also now signed up too. Looking very very nice.

Can't get worse, might get better...
Has always been my way of thinking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
lostcarpark

Site Admin
Display Name: James Shields
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mask wrote:
Sad Crying or Very sad Aw, I won't be able to get on it at work night time like I can on here, my work system blocks it. There's the option to click and open it if it's work related, but I don't know if the IT dept are able to check up on these and get me into bovver. I don't suppose anyone knows about these things here.

That's kinda weird, as both sites reside on the same server, The criteria used for blocking sites have always been something of a dark art. If your IT dept are anyway competant, they will be able to check up any sites you visit while at work, so it's only a question of whether they'll bother.

Personally I've stopped using work Internet for anything non-work related as it's just too much hassle. I check email and favourite forums a couple of times during the day through my phone.

Deep Black

Club Member
Display Name: Andi
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I worked for egg I spent 90% of my time on the internet. The other 10% was devided between work & the much needed breaks Razz
Analog Kid

Display Name: Michael
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm there, I gather from the Merc that memberships will transfer depending on how many magazines you've received. Looking forward to the start of the new one.
A Random Me

Club Member
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> If your IT dept are anyway competant, they will be able to check up any sites you visit while at work, so it's only a question of whether they'll bother.

Ours are surprisingly good at blocking things, often for strange reasons - I can understand Facebook as at one stage a third of all our internet traffic was through there, but the site covering how to make Tetris ice cubes was deemed as a terrorist site and blocked. Now, if they could just keep server stability...

"If Plan A will result in a smoking crater where the city used to be, they'd probably like if you came up with a Plan B."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lostcarpark

Site Admin
Display Name: James Shields
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouraging comments. The launch plans were moved forward to fit with the book launch, so we had a lot less time to get things ready than we originally expected. However I think we're coming along nicely and most of the basics are working.

There will be a lot of new content coming on stream, and all the member only content will mean that members get a lot more than before, though hopefully there will also be enough public content to tempt you all in.

We would have liked to have done a lot of this on Sproutlore, but we never got the membership stuff working properly on the site. This time we've designed it from the ground up. You can join, complete the PayPal transaction, and you're in with no fuss or waiting. You will also be able to see how long your membership has to run, so you'll know when it's time to renew. And you can edit your address in your profile, which is the address we send your magazine to, so there's no chance of us forgetting to update your address when you move (I'm working on a system that will send an automatic email to everyone before we post an issue, reminding them of the address we currently have to give them a chance to change it).

I hope you'll bare with us while we iron any bugs out of the new system. We welcome any comments and suggestions. We have a lot of ideas of our own, but I'm sure people will suggest things that haven't occurred to us, and the new site will hopefully make a lot of them possible.

Sproutlore.com will still be around as an archive of the club. The forum will continue until after issue #2, then it will go read only. Again, I'll keep the old forum content as an archive.

I look forward to seeing you all over there.

James

Captain Fantastic

Club Member
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything James just said......

And my huge thanks for all the work he has, is and continues to put into this for us Thumbs Up

www.zombiecon.co.uk
reddragon70

Club Member
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James old man, we as a club will always wait for the club. Its what we are and who we are. We hope for great things. I know we will not be disappointed.

And I got the firt post in so I am happy Grin
brucey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If memberships ae being "transferred" doead that mean we'll get access to the members only section too? Or is that too complicated and do we need to join the new one to get access?
Captain Fantastic

Club Member
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bruce,

No - you won't get full access to the new site unless you join the new club via it, hence why we will be leaving the two sites running until all members have been asked to renew.

Ian.

www.zombiecon.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sproutlore Forum Index -> SproutJaw All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: